This morning I craved something new. Pancakes are fine and dandy, but I’m kinda special when it comes to making them and they end up sorta soggy, so when I came across a recipe for pancakes that are baked in the oven I was excited! They were pretty much foolproof pancakes. (: Yay for me! And they were delicious. I’ve added fried bananas to breakfast foods before, but it never occurred to me to try apples. I’m glad I did. Here’s the recipe:
4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 pinch nutmeg (I used allspice instead)
2 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar (I was excited about this part but sadly had none, so I used brown sugar instead)
2 cups pared apples
1 tb lemon juice
Serves 6 (I divided the measurements to serve 1)
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Start on apples. Toss 2 cups diced pared apples with 1 tb lemon juice. Add 2 tb sugar. You can add raisins, applejack, or cinnamon to your taste.
3) Melt butter in 10-in ovenproof skillet over medium heat, tilting pan to coat sides. (or use a regular pan and transfer to tray later)
4) Add apples. Stir frequently until lightly caramelized or for 5-7 minutes.
5) Whisk milk, flour, granulated sugar, eggs, and nutmeg in medium bowl. Add apples to batter. Pour onto skillet; cook one minute. (You may want to flip it once)
6) Place in oven and bake until puffed and golden, 12-15 minutes. Serve with confectioners sugar.
I cut my puffed pancake up for easier eating. Tell me what you guys think!