So, my sister and I cooked up a storm yesterday morning…
…and we ended up cooking oatmeal, but not the way I’m used to.
The ingredients include:
1 cup of oats
1 and 3/4 cup of water
A “crack and a half” of salt (if using a grinder)
–this is the secret ingredient, shhh.
A cap full of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of walnuts chopped coarsely
3-4 shakes of cinnamon
3 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
Half an apple diced
A dash of allspice
Earth Balance Buttery Spread to taste
Brown sugar to taste
1) Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil
2) Add oats, apple, and salt. Turn down to medium heat, stirring frequently. WATCH FOR OVERFLOW
3) Add vanilla extract.
4) When oatmeal has thickened, add maple syrup.
5) Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
6) Top off with walnuts, cinnamon, allspice, buttery spread, and brown sugar if you want it sweeter.
ENJOY! This recipe is perfect for a college student in a hurry or anyone hungry, really (:
- Baked Oatmeal- another version (happyfamilymeals.com)
- Vanilla-Strawberry Oat Bars (highvoltagehealth.com)