My sister is on a plant-based diet and since I’m here in Houston, I’ve been trying out her unique dishes. One day we decided to make gyros instead of ordering out. Here’s our impromptu, vegan gyro recipe:
Wheat Roast (one package)
Chopped Onions (about 5 sliced rings)
Mushrooms (about 8 oz)
Olive Oil (4 tablespoons)
Oregano (generous amount)
Basil – to taste
Garlic Powder- to taste
Onion Powder – to taste
Lettuce – to taste
Tomato- to taste
Earth Balance Mindful Mayo
1) Prepare wheat roast by slicing gyro style with a potato peeler
2) Put pan on medium heat and pour olive oil in.
3) Rinse mushrooms
4) Saute wheat roast, onions, and mushrooms in pan until browned.
5) Add dried oregano, dried basil, onion powder, and garlic powder to season. (generous amount).
6) Slice tomatoes and lettuce.
7) Toast pita bread in oven.
8) Slather mindful mayo onto pita.
9) Stuff wheat roast, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and lettuce into pita.
Feel free to add salsa or anything else you can think of to spice it up even more. These were really good. Honestly, I didn’t miss the meat at all. If you’ve ever substituted something for meat in a recipe, please share.