Because you’ll be doing a lot of smashing and smushing with this recipe.
What recipe you ask? Why Black Bean Burgers of course (:
But wait! Don’t scrunch up your nose just yet if you’re a proud carnivore. Give it a try, it’s a wonderful dish.
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1 can black beans, well drained
1/2 cup flour
2 slices bread, crumbled
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp blackened seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp hot sauce
4 tsp olive oil
1) Saute the onions and bell pepper till soft, about 3-5 minutes.
2) This is where the smashing comes in and a whole lot of it! In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth. Add sauteed onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well. Mixture will be thick.
3) Form bean mixture into patties with hands. This gets messy, but fun! Don’t worry about making them too big or too small. It should come out to about 4 patties.
4) Fry patties in a large pan for about 4 minutes on each side.
5) Toast pita bread, add patty, top with mustard, ketchup, lettuce, and salsa! Yum!